As a newly designed engineering program, the bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering provides a comprehensive understanding of the function of machines, product development and plants. Mechanical engineers deal with vehicle construction, plant engineering, production engineering, product development, engine technology and the associated classical basic subjects. They work in areas such as aerospace, series development, energy technology or energy machine construction.
Students can choose between a part-time course of study and a full-time course of study. Students can also choose between three specialisation areas: production engineering, energy mechanical engineering and technical design. Current topics such as additive manufacturing/rapid prototyping, generative design and bionics as well as simulation-supported design and validation are examined in detail in these modules. Up to 3D printing, students come into contact with a variety of modern manufacturing techniques.
What students should bring to their studies:
- Interest in scientific and technical tasks.
- A creative personality who enjoys innovative developments.
- Logical thinking skills combined with a good command of English.
- Curiosity and the ability to work independently.
Concrete previous knowledge is not necessary for the Bachelor's degree program "Mechanical Engineering". Therefore, students from all types of schools can start this course of study after their Matura if they bring the appropriate interest and willingness to perform. In order to facilitate the start of studies, the Carinthia University of Applied Sciences offers intensive courses in mathematics, computer science and physics. Missing university entrance qualifications can be compensated by relevant professional qualifications and attendance of the pre-study course.
After successful completion of their studies, graduates have the following skills and knowledge:
- They apply their basic knowledge from the subjects mathematics, computer science, mechanics and electrical engineering in order to derive and implement solutions.
- Sound basics in bionics, industrial design and product development
- Sound basics in presentation techniques, design thinking and creativity techniques
- Sound basics in CAD modelling, CAM development
- Well-founded basics in simulation software
- They know about the basic principles and procedures in applied measurement and control technology.
- They are able to assist in the implementation of controls in mechanical systems.
- You are familiar with the essential physical principles for the mechanical, thermodynamic and fluidic design of machines and plants and are able to use electrical drives, combustion engines and fluid flow machines in a targeted manner. - They can explain the essential methods from statics and strength theory, kinematics and kinetics.
- They can design plants and their components and recognise weak points in designs and existing plants and are able to design machines and plants in accordance with the load.
- They describe complex technical systems from the field of mechanical engineering and modify them according to the system concept.
- They are familiar with the development and production processes up to recycling.