The newly developed Master’s degree program trains future data scientist for a variety of promising career paths in different business areas. There is a great need for experts that are familiar with the entire data value chain, from the acquisition of data, to the extraction of information, and finally the generation and representation of knowledge.
The technical-methodological skills acquired during the program allow the students to identify problems in the acquisition of (sensor) data as well as the transmission of these data and enable them to make a fundamental assessment with regard to the quality of the acquired data. A main focus is on the techniques of storing large, heterogeneous data in order to enable a subsequent valid and timely evaluation using models of machine learning and artificial intelligence. Modern methods of visualization are part of the curriculum to communicate the results and derive recommendations for action.
Graduates of the master’s degree program "Applied Data Science" can use their acquired professional and methodological competence to pursue a further scientific specialization in the form of a PhD at a technical university.
Data science is an incredibly fascinating field of applied sciences. The prerequisite for attending the master's degree program is a completed technical bachelor's or diploma degree from the FH Kärnten or an equivalent program at a recognized domestic or foreign post-secondary educational institution.
What students should bring to their studies:
- 10 ECTS in Computer Science Basics and Programming
- 10 ECTS in Mathematics, Statistics, and Algorithmics
- 5 ECTS in Data Management, Databases, and Data Structures (FH Kärnten offers a bridge course during summer)A fundamental interest in topics of artificial intelligence and machine learning.
- A personality who enjoys discovering innovative and creative solutions.
- Solid mathematical knowledge and basic programming skills.
- Basic knowledge of databases and data management.
- Good language and communication skills.
Graduates of the master’s degree program “Applied Data Science” are able to:
- work on concrete tasks in a problem-solving manner,
- recognize the interrelationships of data analysis on large amounts of data on the technology, system, and application level,
- •apply mathematical, statistical and computer science knowledge,
- estimate the limits of the state-of-the art procedures, methods and models,
- design, develop and implement systems for the analysis of large amounts of data
- professionally carrying out projects with respect to development, implementation and application,
- reflect, analyze and further develop the basic knowledge acquired during the program,
- apply the basics and methods of scientific work.